Ohio Summer Kicking Camp
June 3rd 2023
Kicking 9 AM – 1PM, Punting 3 PM – 6:30 PM
Ashland University, Ashland, OH
*JUNE 4th, 5th 2022 camp staff is loaded: Austin Seibert – Lions kicker, Zoltan Mesko – former Patriots punter with Super Bowl experience, Zach Paul – Browns and Jaguars, Brad Robbins – Michigan Punter (All Big 10). Most of them have been part of The Kicking Coach organization for over 10 years. NFL experienced coaches. This camp averages only 25-30 athletes. Big time staff in a small camp setting.
- Recommended Age: 12 – 19. Average age is 14-17.
- Skills taught at the Ohio Kicking Camp: Field Goals, Kickoffs, Punts. We teach the most efficient techniques that are used by NFL and top college kickers while allowing room for individual nuances.
- Camper skill levels vary from first-time kickers to more experienced kickers with several years of camp and playing experience. We tailor instruction to the individual.
- We teach execution of game kicks – directional kickoffs, onside kicks, coffin corner punts, hurried punts, kicking field goals in bad weather, etc.
- Since kickers are usually on their own when it comes to training and technique adjustments, one of the main camp objectives is to guide athletes to self-reliance and a resilient mindset that is needed for the long-term success.
- We chart and evaluate younger athletes for self-assessment and comparison with peers.
- College Showcase: We chart and evaluate high school sophomore, junior and senior kickers and punters for college referrals. Athletes will complete our standardized testing workout. Statistics and observations from the evaluation are sent to colleges and used for college referrals. If an athlete underperforms (subjective to his skill level), for his benefit, we discard the statistics.
- At the Ohio Kicking Camp at Ashland University, our top priority is to teach kickers and punters how to train and improve while kicking on their own. There are no kicking coaches on middle school, high school, or college football teams. When your high school coach gives you couple footballs and tells you to “go practice”, you need to know… How to kick? How much to kick? How often to kick? What to tell your snapper and holder? How to make adjustments for different conditions? Etc.
- Parents are welcome to stay and observe instruction and evaluation.
*Many athletes shy away from punting because it is a more difficult skill. This is exactly why there are significantly more opportunities for playing time and college scholarships for punters and combos than for athletes who are kickers only. Please consider learning the skill of punting. Nobody is born a good punter. Every great punter had to start somewhere.
Filip Filipovic, NFL veteran, professional kicking coach.
June 4,5 2022 Assistant Coaches:
Austin Seibert – Detroit Lion Kicker
Zoltan Mesko – 6-year NFL Veteran Punter
Zach Paul – attended training camps with Browns and Jaguars
Brad Robbins – Michigan Punter – ALL BIG 10
Josh Brebant – former D1 kicker, certified strength coach
NFL and BIG 10 kickers and punters. Our staff is loaded with The Kicking Coach Alumni who are extremely talented and personable. Coach to camper ratio is always 1:7 or better.